Pages

Sunday, November 14, 2010

*Easy* Apple Strudel


Seriously,  if I can make this strudel, you can make it too!  I recently came across 2 recipes for strudel using puff pastry.  This was my first time using puff pastry and it was pretty easy!  Below is the recipe I came up with after combining a bit from recipes I've read.  I'm thinking of adding this to our Thanksgiving menu.  The only problem I had was that I didn't great the cookie sheet - both recipes I read said there was enough butter in the pastry to keep it from sticking.  Well, mine slightly stuck.  So next time I think I'll put a light spray of PAM down.

1 sheet Pepperidge Farm® Puff Pastry
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water
1 can apple pie filling
1 golden delicious apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced

Thaw pastry sheet at room temperature 30-45 minutes, until you're able to roll out. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Roll out the defrosted puff pastry to form a rectangle and lay on a lightly greased baking sheet.  I lightly floured the pastry before rolling.

Unfold pastry on lightly floured surface. Roll into 16x12-inch rectangle  (I didn't measure mine). Place apple slices down center of pastry. Spoon pie filling on top, stopping about an inch from sides.  Neatly fold up both ends to meet in the middle and seal with egg wash. Flip the strudel over on the baking sheet, so the seam side is laying flat down. Tuck ends under to seal. Brush top with egg mixture. Cut several 2-inch slits about 2 inches apart on top using serated knife.  Sprinke top with turbinado (raw) sugar.

Bake 35 minutes or until golden. Cool on baking sheet on wire rack 30 minutes.

Enjoy!

1 comment: